Math 32: Precalculus, Fall 2008
Math 32: Precalculus, Fall 2008
PDP Discussion Section 107. CCN: 54444.
For enrollment questions, please talk to Hugo Ramirez.
Table of Contents
GSI: Theo Johnson-Freyd
Office: 1058 Evans
OH Times: Monday 11-12 and Wednesday 12-1, and by appointment.
E-mail: theojf at math dot thisuniversity dot edu
UGA: Cynthia Cruz
OH Times: Tuesday 10-11, Wednesday 2-4, Thursday 10-11 and 2-4, and Friday 2-3, at PDP.
E-mail: ccruz3 at thisuniversity dot edu
UGA: Phillip Persley
OH Times: 1:30-2:30 daily, at PDP.
E-mail: phillippersley at gmail dot com
Unlike in other discussion sections, we meet five hours a week and on Tuesdays and Thrusdays (the other sections are two hours per week, on Mondays and Wednesdays). Attendance in this section is required. As college students, you should enroll in classes only because you want to take them; if you don't want to come to five hours of discussion section per week, that's perfectly appropriate: enroll in a different discussion section. If you do attend this section, you'll most likely learn a lot more than you would in any other.
Homework, assigned by Cody each week and announced here,
is due in section each Thursday, and will be graded by the
UGAs, on a mix of completeness and correctness (this is also different from the other discussion sections, which do not have UGAs). Quizzes will be at least weekly — days without real quizzes may have short not-for-credit pop-quizzes.
Tutoring at SLC
The Student Learning Center
offers free tutoring. They write:
Math/Stat Drop-In Tutoring
Math/Stat Drop-In provides individual assistance to most lower division
math and stat courses. To get
help, students type in their Student ID at the computer located in the
west corner of the Cesar-Chavez Atrium, and tutors will provide assistance
on a first-come, first-served basis. The Cesar Chavez Student Center is
located on lower Sproul. For more information, email mleong at
thisuniversity dot edu or mjwong at thisuniversity dot
Handouts and Quizzes
Everything I give out in class will be posted here, all as PDFs. If you are on a Mac,
these should open automatically; Windows users may need to download Adobe Reader if it is
not already installed.
- Thursday, 28 August 08: This website. Handout: Fun Math Problems. A questionnaire.
- Tuesday, 2 September 08: Handout: Sets of
Real Numbers and Absolute Value
- Thursday, 4 September 08: Handout: Set
Notation and Absolute Value. Quiz on Sets of
Real Numbers, and answers.
- Tuesday, 9 September 08: Handout: Plane
Geometry: Rectangular Coordinates and Equations of Lines
- Thursday, 11 September 08: Handout:
Solving Equations and Inequalities. Quiz
- Tuesday, 16 September 08: Handout:
Functions and their graphs. Quick
- Thursday, 18 September 08: Quiz and answers. Handout: combining and inverting funcitons
- Tuesday, 23 September 08: Handout: linear
and quadratic functions. Quick Quiz
- Thursday, 25 September 08: Quiz and answers.
- Tuesday, 30 September 08: Handout:
setting up and maximizing funcitons.
- Thursday, 2 October 08: Handout: polynomial and rational functions. Quiz and answers.
- Tuesday, 7 October 08: Handout: Practice
and Review. Quick Quiz
- Thursday, 9 October 08: Handout:
- Tuesday, 14 October 08: Handout:
Exponential and Logarithmix Funtions.
- Thursday, 16 October 08: Handout:
Exponential and Logarithmis Functions. Quiz and answers
- Tuesday, 21 October 08: Handout:
- Thursday, 23 October 08: Handout:
- Tuesday, 28 October 08: Handout:
- Thursday, 30 October 08: Handout:
More on trig functions.
Quiz and answers
- Tuesday, 4 November 08: Handout: More on
trig functions. Quick Quiz
- Thursday, 6 November 08: Handout: Trig
review. Quiz and answers
- Sunday, 9 November 08: Review Session for
- Tuesday, 11 November 08: No School (Veteran's Day)
- Thursday, 13 November 08: Handout: Sum,
product, etc. formulas from Trigonometry
- Tuesday, 18 November 08: Handout: Trigonometric
Equations and Inverse Functions
- Thursday, 20 November 08: Handout:
Trigonometric Equations and Inverse Functions. Quiz and answers
- Tuesday, 25 November 08: Handout:
Trigonometric Equations and Review.
- Thursday, 27 November 08: No School (Thanksgiving)
- Tuesday, 2 December 08: Solving systems
- Thursday, 4 December 08: Inequalities and
systems thereof. Quiz and answers. The first problem is ugly,
because I made a sign-error when typing it up. Replacing the second
equation by 3x + y + z = -1 makes the problem a nice exercises.
- Tuesday, 9 December 08: Polynomials
- Sunday, 14 December 08: Final Exam
Last updated 2 September 2008.