Math 1A: Calculus, Spring 2009
Math 1A: Calculus, Spring 2009
PDP Discussion Section 113. CCN: 53941.
For enrollment questions, please talk to Hugo Ramirez.
The primary website for this course is maintained by Professor Zvezdelina Stankova at http://math.berkeley.edu/~stankova. In particular, you can find there the homework assigments and solutions, and the course syllabus at http://math.berkeley.edu/~stankova/1AS09/announce1AS09.pdf.
The Student Learning Center http://slc.berkeley.edu/ offers free
drop-in tutoring most days of the week. They also offer a one-unit
"adjunct course" that provides more practice with calculus materials.
Table of Contents
GSI: Theo Johnson-Freyd
Office: 1058 Evans
OH Times: Tuesday 1-2 and Friday 2-4, and by appointment.
E-mail: theojf at math dot thisuniversity dot edu
UGA: Alberto Marcelo
OH Times: Monday and Wednesday 4-5 and Fridays 4-6, at PDP
E-mail: albertom at thisuniversity dot edu
Unlike in other discussion sections, we meet five hours a week,
including on Fridays (the other sections are two hours per week, on
Mondays and Wednesdays). Attendance in this section is required. As
college students, you should enroll in classes only because you want to
take them; if you don't want to come to five hours of discussion section
per week, that's perfectly appropriate: enroll in a different discussion
section. If you do attend this section, you'll most likely learn a lot
more than you would in any other.
Homework, assigned by Zvezda each week and announced at http://math.berkeley.edu/~stankova/,
is due in section each Wednesday, and will be graded by Alberto, on a mix
of completeness and correctness (this is also different from the other
discussion sections, which do not have UGAs and hence homework is not
turned in). We will have quizzes every Wednesday that count towards your
grade, and occasional pop quizzes on other days.
Handouts and Quizzes
Everything I give out in class will be posted here, all as PDFs. If
you are on a Mac, these should open automatically; Windows users may need
to download Adobe
Reader if it is not already installed.
Review materials: I have copied the end-of-chapter True/False quizzes from Stewart's Calculus. Chapter 1. Chapter 2. Chapter 3. Chapter 4. Chapter 5.
- Wednesday, 21 January 09: This website. Homework
0. Handout: Preview and Review.
- Friday, 23 January 09: Handout: More Preview and
- Monday, 26 January 09: Handout: Introducing
- Wednesday, 28 January 09: Quiz and answers. Handout: Introducing
- Friday, 30 January 09: Handout: More Limits
- Monday, 2 February 09: Handout: Limits and
- Wednesday, 4 February 09: Quiz and answers. Handout: Some
- Friday, 6 February 09: Handout: Intermediate
- Monday, 9 February 09: Handout: To infinity
- Wednesday, 11 February 09: Quiz and answers. Handout: Introducing
- Friday, 13 February 09: Handout: Derivatives
- Wednesday, 18 Febraury 09: Handout: Product and
Quotient Rules. Quiz and answers.
- Friday, 20 February 09: Handout: Trig
- Monday, 23 February 09: Handout: The Chain
- Wednesday, 25 February 09: Quiz and answers. Handout: Implicit
- Friday, 27 February 09: Handout: Logarithms and
- Monday, 2 March 09: Handout: Hyperbolic Functios
and Exponential Growth And Decay.
- Wednesday, 4 March 09: Quiz and answers. Handout: Linear
Approximation and Differentials
- Friday, 6 March 09: Handout: Warm-up and
Geometry and Problem Solving.
- Monday, 9 March 09: Handout: Maxima and
- Wednesday, 11 March 09: Quiz and answers.
- Friday, 13 March 09: Handout: Mean Value Theorem
- Monday, 16 March 09: Handout: Derivatives and Graphing
- Wednesday, 18 March 09: Quiz and answers. Handout: L'Hospital's Rule
- Friday, 20 March 09: Handout: L'Hospital's Rule
- Monday, 30 March 09: Handout: Graphing
- Wednesday, 1 April 09: Quiz and answers
- Friday, 3 April 09: Handout: Optimization Problems
- Monday, 6 April 09: Handout: More Optimization Problems
- Wednesday, 8 April 09: Quiz and answers. Handout: Applications to Business and Economics
- Friday, 10 April 09: Handout: Newton's Method
- Monday, 13 April 09: Handout: Antiderivatives
- Wednesday, 15 April 09: Quiz and answers. Handout: Sigma notation
- Friday, 17 April 09: Handout: The Definite Integral
- Monday, 20 April 09: Handout: The Definite Integral
- Wednesday, 22 April 09: Quiz and answers. Handout: The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, part 1
- Friday, 24 April 09: Handout: The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, part 2
- Monday, 27 April 09: Handout: The Indefinite Integral and Net Change
- Wednesday, 29 April 09: Quiz and answers. Handout: u-substitutions
- Friday, 1 May 09: Handout: u-substitutions
- Monday, 4 May 09: Handout: Areas between curves
- Wednesday, 6 May 09: Quiz and answers. Handout: Volumes
- Friday, 8 May 09: Handout: Volumes
- Monday, 11 May 09: Handout: Average Values
Last updated Sunday, 17-May-2009 11:08:19 PDT.